Thursday, July 6, 2017

The Results are in…

On June 9th 2017, I had an anaphylactic reaction, you can read about it in my blog posted called “From Zero to Life Threatening in 30 Minutes...”

On June 13th 2017, I went to the Canada Food Inspection Agency. I left the bag of sunflower seeds with them so they could test to make sure there was no peanut or soy contamination.

Well I got an email just the other day, and after doing tests on the sunflower seeds I gave them as well as on the contents of four other bags of sunflowers seeds from the same run and a random bag as a control, they found no traces of peanuts or soy in the sunflower seeds…

So that means that I have anaphylaxis to sunflower seeds. And the really tough part? This allergy is even worse than my peanut allergy because of how quickly I reacted.
A few months ago, before my reaction I was confidant and not worried about food at all.  I knew what was safe for me. I knew I could eat something if it had soy lecithin in it. I knew if it would be safe for me to eat something based on how far down the ingredient list the allergen was… Life seemed so much easier a few months ago…

I am so thankful to God that my reaction happened at home because I was actually in the process of adding the sunflower seeds to the salad I was going to eat at work. I am glad it happened at home so I was able to get help right away…

Now almost a month after having my reaction I find myself questioning everything; even though I know certain foods are safe for me, when I put them into my mouth I feel nervous that I will have another reaction…


I have to remind myself that God has helped to carry me through so far and I know He will continue to help me though.

Picture source YouVersion Bible app https://www.bible.com/app

Picture source Zedge app, search "scottish castle"
 https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.zedge.android&hl=en

Picture source, my mother took the picture in Field BC.